Minor traffic or motor vehicle offenses are decriminalized into a system of civil infractions.

A person has four options when they receive an infraction:

  1. Admit, by mailing in the amount on the ticket; or
  2. Request a payment plan. Admit responsibility for the infraction. Request the information about how to obtain a payment plan. Request a payment plan
  3. Admit the violation, but request that the penalty be reduced in a mitigation hearing. 
  4. Contest the ticket by requesting a court date or by filling out the contested by mail paperwork and submitting it to the court. Contested/Mitigation Forms

A defendant must appear for a contested hearing. A person also has the right to ask the Judge for a deferred finding. The clerks do not have the authority to offer a deferred finding.

Click on Link below for making a payment ONLINE. Please be sure you are making a payment for the correct court. West District Court is Different than East District Court.

Deferred Findings Program

To qualify for the Deferred Findings Program, you must pay a non-refundable administrative fee and not commit another traffic infraction for six months. Certain violations cannot be deferred, and anyone with a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) is not eligible.

The court holds your infraction for six months. If you pay court costs as required and do not commit another infraction during the six-month deferral period, the infraction will be dismissed and will not appear on your driving record.

Failure to pay and/or receiving any additional infractions during the next six months will result in your ticket being reported to the Washington Department of Licensing.

You can only defer one moving and one non-moving infraction during a seven-year period.

Mitigation/Contested Request Forms

Out-of-State Drivers

If you are an out-of-state driver, you must provide a copy of your driving record to the court prior to the six months ending. Notice will be sent to you to remind you of this. The court cannot check an out-of-state driver's record. Washington drivers do not need to do this as the court can review your driving record.

Deferral Request Forms