How to Identify Common Household Hazardous Waste

Common Household Hazardous Waste Products

Partially full containers from the following product types are generally considered to be household hazardous wastes:


  • Antifreeze
  • Batteries: automotive and household
  • Brake fluid
  • Motor oil
  • Power steering fluid

Household Maintenance

  • Glues and binders
  • Paint thinner
  • Paint: latex and oil base
  • Rust remover
  • Wood preservative
  • Wood stain


  • Chemistry lab materials
  • Fertilizer
  • Fluorescent lamp ballasts
  • Mosquito repellent
  • Photography chemicals
  • Pool chemicals
  • Weed or insect killer

Cleaning Products

  • Air freshener
  • Bleach
  • Carpet cleaner
  • Coffee pot cleaner
  • Drain cleaner
  • Floor cleaner
  • Furniture polish
  • Grease remover
  • Laundry detergent
  • Metal polish
  • Oven cleaner
  • Scouring powder
  • Spot and stain remover
  • Toilet bowl cleaner
  • Tub and tile cleaner
  • Water softener
  • Window cleaner
The label is important! Attach loose labels to containers with rubber bands or other fasteners. Empty containers are not household hazardous waste. A container is generally considered to be empty when there is less than a quarter inch of product left in the container. Empty containers may be disposed of through your normal trash service.

Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers

The above materials should be taken to one of the transfer stations in:
  • BZ Corners
  • Dallesport
  • Goldendale
  • Roosevelt Landfill drop-box

Used Motor Oil

Used motor oil can be recycled at the Goldendale transfer station on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month. BZ Corners and Dallesport transfer stations are not accepting used oil at this time. Napa Auto Parts in Bingen will accept uncontaminated used oil from the public. If you have used oil that may be contaminated, label it as contaminated, and take it to any of the transfer stations. Tell the attendant that your oil may be contaminated. They will accept it at no charge.

Household Hazardous Waste Reuse Program

Ask the transfer station attendants about re-usable paints, cleaning products or yard and garden chemicals. These partially used products are available at no charge.

There is no charge for the household hazardous waste services provided by Klickitat County in cooperation with Rabanco and The Washington State Department of Ecology.

Commercial & Government Generators of Hazardous Waste

For information on reduced rate disposal options, call Klickitat County Solid Waste at 509-773-4448.