FAQ for Code Compliance Enforcement

How do I file a complaint?

If you feel an alleged activity is appropriate for investigation by our department you must provide us with a completed signed complaint form available from the Code Compliance Office or download from this site. Written complaints must include an address or other identification, owner's name (if known), and a complete description of your concern. You must include your name, address and phone number together with a request for confidentiality if you feel your personal safety or property would be endangered by disclosure of your identity. Only violations of Klickitat County Code will be investigated.

If you have an emergency, call 911.  

Is filing a complaint anonymous?

RCW (Revised Code of Washington) 42.56.240(2) allows you to remain anonymous at your request, if you so choose.

What's the process after a complaint is filed?

The alleged complaint will be verified using visual analysis, interviewing owner/occupant, and/or research of existing records.  If there is reason to believe a violation has occurred, then a case number will be assigned and an official investigation will be conducted. 

Reporting a possible violation

Did you receive a complaint about your property?

If you received a certified letter in the mail from Klickitat County Compliance Officer, the letter will state the nature of the complaint and provide you when and how to respond.  It is your responsibility as the property owner to call the Code Compliance Officer prior to the deadline date in the letter. 

Note: Due to confidentiality, please discuss any code violation matters with the Code Compliance Officer. 

The nature of the violation will determine the next steps to be taken.  The Code Compliance Officer will work with you to resolve the matter.  We want to avoid having citation(s) issued, court proceedings, penalties and/or fines.   

I received a complaint